Tuesday 11 September 2012

Spiced apple cake with brown sugar frosting

Page 153 - Spiced apple cake with brown sugar icing
I halved this recipe as the Hummingbird layer cakes are notoriously huge and it's a good job I did as this was big enough...

I was a bit scared about making the icing as it's made from whisked egg whites cooked over simmering water, but actually it was time-consuming but simple to do, I just had to set the timer to make sure I whisked it for long enough as I would have given up otherwise!

This cake has the texture of a lovely carrot-type cake, but without as much of the flavour. When I was cooking the apples for the sponge, it smelt amazing and I was looking forward to a warm, spicy flavoured cake although in all honesty I found it a bit dull tasting. If I make it again I would definitely add more apples than the recipe says and perhaps grate them less finely than I did too.

However - mum's on a diet and ate two slices after her lunch so it must have been fairly tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment