Sunday 3 July 2011

Grasshopper Pie


Page 45 - Grasshopper pie

"Not a grasshopper in sight!"

I didn't know what to expect with this one - just looking at the picture, I thought it might have contained lime. Its a chocolate biscuit base (which I made with bourbon biscuits as the recipe just said "chocolate flavour"), with a mint and marshmallow middle (sounds wierd but the marshmallow give it a nice texture) and whipped cream on top. The biscuit base in particular was really more-ish!

Tips for future reference:
#1 - Don't melt the marshmallows/milk in the microwave - I was lazy so did this in the microwave first-time round which was a disaster as it all separated. For my second attempt (this project is indeed costing me a small fortune in ingredients!) I actually did it on the hob and it worked much better, the texture is fab.
#2 - Ideally use white marshmallows only - I used pink and white marshmallows as I couldn't get a bag of white-only ones and it made the colour slightly faded rather than the bright green in the picture.
#3 - Dont overwhip the cream for the top layer - I think I did mine too much as it didn't sit s prettily as the picture looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment