Wednesday 24 October 2012

Red velvet cupcakes

Page 178 - Red velvet cupcakes
I'm glad I made these to see what all the fuss is about as its the Hummingbird signature cake... I had one in London when I visited the Hummingbird Bakery in Soho.

They were nice although I prefer a good old vanilla cupcake. I was surprised when reading the recipe as it contained buttermilk and white wine vinegar which I wouldn't have associated with a dessert. I did have to ask "where to find white wine vinegar in the supermarket" and it was in the vinegar aisle rather than with the wine...

 

The frosting is the amazing cream cheese recipe which is the best in my opinion! I guess the red sponge is what makes these 'red velvet', there was a whole bottle in the batch! My fingers went red when eating the sponge...! But I wouldn't have used so much if I was to adapt the recipe. And I couldn't taste the cocoa especially either...

No comments:

Post a Comment